About the Manual
The manual entitled “Practical Manual on Weed Management” has been designed to fulfill the requirement of post graduate students of Agronomy offering the course “Principles and Practices of Weed Management”. The manual is prepared strictly following the syllabus of the course. The manual makes an attempt to present the available information on practicals in weed science in a very simple and lucid language. The manual contains practicals on identification of weeds in field along with photographs, weed survey in cropped and non-cropped areas, preparation of weed herbarium, weed crop competition studies, an introduction to herbicides, herbicide application equipments, and their maintenance calibration of spray equipments. This manual also included solved and unsolved numerical problems pertaining to computation of herbicide doses and important weed indices, economic evaluation of weed control options, etc.
The students community may harness benefit from this manual not only in learning the course but also very useful in research. I hope this manual will be very useful for the students, teachers, researchers and extension specialists and other interested in weed management.
1. Identification of Weeds 1
2. Preparation of Weed Herbarium 23
3. Weed Survey in Cropped and Non-cropped Areas 29
4. Weed Crop Competition Studies 34
5. An Introduction to Herbicides 38
6. Herbicide Application Equipments and their Maintenance 42
7. Calibration of Spray Equipments 48
8. Computation of Herbicide Doses and Preparation of Spray Solution 51
9. Estimation of Herbicide Residue 59
10. Evaluation of Herbicide Effects in Weed Research 64
11. Study of Different Indices for Weed Research 69
12. Economic Evaluation of Weed Control Options 74
Appendices (I-VIII) 89-109